MCAS Yuma Range SOP STAO 3710.6J
MCAS YUMA SEARCH AND RESCUE TERMINATION OF SERVICES - MARINE CORPS AIR STATION YUMA SEARCH AND RESCUE SERVICES TERMINATED, EFFECTIVE 2300Z (1600L) 20 DECEMBER 2019. COMMANDING OFFICERS OF UNITS TRAINING IN THE RESTRICTED AREAS R-2301, R-2507, R-2510, R-2512, R-2306, R-2307, R-2308, R-2311, SURROUNDING MILITARY OPERATIONS AREAS (MOA), AND REGIONS OF SOUTHWESTERN ARIZONA AND SOUTHEASTERN CALIFORNIA ARE ENCOURAGED TO INVESTIGATE ALTERNATE AERIAL MEDICAL EVACUATION CAPABILITIES, UPDATE MEDICAL EVACUATION PLANS, AND EVALUATE EXTANT RISK MANAGEMENT DECISION PROCESSES. FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT LTCOL WEISS/MCAS YUMA EXECUTIVE OFFICER/OLGIERD.WEISS@USMC.MIL/928-269-3626.
- "Any proposed operations in the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range (R 2507) that include personnel on deck requires 60 day notification to Yuma Skeds accompanied by a Scheme of Maneuver/Overview. Director, MCAS Yuma Range Management concurrence will be required prior to approval of any airspace or ground RFMSS requests. Exceptions: MAWTS-1, EOTG and 3rd MAW."
Restriction: Agua Caliente Airport, owned and operated by the County of San Diego, located at 32°57′22″N 116°17′44″W with elevation of 1,220 ft. This airfield is "OFF LIMITS" to all military aircraft (to include rotor and tilt-rotor aircraft). For more information please contact Mr. Steve Lippert at 760-339-2616.
TIME CHANGE – March 8th, 2020 Daylight Savings Time starts. At that time California will be equal to Arizona’s time. (Arizona to Zulu = AZ Local + 7) RFMSS Scheduling Times - Yuma Ranges, whether in California or Arizona are scheduled in Yuma Local Time (Zulu -7). With that said, during Non-Daylight Savings Time (Fall & Winter), Yuma is one hour a head of California Time. During Daylights Savings Time (Spring & Summer), Yuma and California are on the same time zone. Please adjust your requests in RFMSS accordingly. Not taking this into account could cause a significant impact on your training.
Submitting Range Requests in Range Facility Management Scheduling System (RFMSS) - Once a request has been submitted, it is just a request. Follow-up tracking on the status is the responsibility of the requesting unit and tracking of the request may be performed via the RCNI. An RCNI assignment does NOT constitute approval/reservation of the request. It is the user’s responsibility to check their pending requests periodically until a reservation or other action has been made.
- RFMSS Training - Units or personnel requiring any training in the use or implementation of RFMSS, contact Yuma Range Scheduling via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call DSN 269-2214/2215/2690/5575 or Commercial (928)269-2214/2215/2690/5575.
Knowingly not showing up for your range and giving co-use is wrong. If not using your range you cannot give a co-use. It is a “No-Show”, for your unit. If giving the range to another unit, you shall cancel your range time. If the range time is on the same day, you must call Yuma Range to cancel. You cannot cancel same day ranges in RFMSS. The unit requesting the range shall submit a request in RFMSS.
- R-2507 North – Range Closure 08 -24 March, 2020 – The R-2507 North will be closed during this period for range maintenance and target build for the WTI Course. Due to personnel on the range and explosive operations taking place, there SHALL BE NO FLIGHTS BELOW 6,000 FT MSL AND NO ORDNANCE/LASER OPERATIONS AUTHORIZED. However, 7-31K will be available with NO LASING/ORDNANCE. For more information contact Mr. Alan Veasey at 928-269-5575/2214/ DSN 269-5575/2214 or Leg Iron at 928-269-7080/DSN 269-7080.
SWAT - 4 AREA:
- Please see the SWAT-4 range SPINS in the RFMSS Library under Range Cards.
- R-2507 South – Range Closure 24 February - 07 March, 2020 – The R-2507 South will be closed during this period for range maintenance and target build for the WTI Course. Due to personnel on the range and explosive operations taking place, there SHALL BE NO FLIGHTS BELOW 6,000 FT MSL AND NO ORDNANCE/LASER OPERATIONS AUTHORIZED. However, 7-31K will be available with NO LASING/ORDNANCE. The Mt Barrow Corridor will also be available with ordnace authorized per the Yuma Range SOP. For more information contact Mr. Alan Veasey at 928-269-5575/2214/ DSN 269-5575/2214 or Leg Iron at 928-269-7080/DSN 269-7080.
Mt Barrow Corridor:
R-2301 West, Tacts Lo - At the following grid (12S TA 291 984) there is a temporarily unlighted communications tower, 197’ AGL. All aviators are to proceed through this location with “CAUTION”. For additional information contact Yuma Range Scheduling at 928-269-2214/15 or Leg Iron 928-269-7080.
- R-2301 WEST – CACTUS WEST AIRSPACE – YODAVILLE URBAN TARGET COMPLEX (UTC) & BERM ***CLOSED*** - February 18th – March 21st, 2020 - There will be personnel and equipment within the UTC performing ground maintenance and construction activity. Remain clear 1,000 meters radius and at or above 1000’ AGL of the center point of the UTC (MGRS 11S QR5085292094 or N 32°26.26558', W114°19.91296'). NO ORDNANCE OR LASING AUTHORIZED. For additional information, contact Yuma Range Scheduling POC Mr. Alan Veasey (928) 269-5575/2214 or Leg Iron at 928-269-7080.
- R-2301 WEST – CACTUS WEST – CACTUS WEST BULL’S-EYE - The Cactus West Bull’s-eye Target lighting will down until further notice. For more information please contact WISS Scoring at 928-269-7699.
- Within R-2301W - During the dates 15 March to 15 July in accordance with U.S. Fish and Wildlife measures to protect the Sonoran pronghorn habitat, non-WTI aircraft flights shall remain west of the 113°53’W longitude line, or on designated transit routes, or above 1,500 ft. AGL (when flying east of this line). Refer to, STAO 3710.6, Range Regulations, Section 4004.5 TACTS LOW, Para. 5 Special Instructions, b.
- R-2301 West – Cactus West/ UTC Yodaville - 30 MM MUNITIONS NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE TARGET AREAS. For additional information, contact Mr. Alan Veasey DSN 269-2214/5575, or Leg Iron 928-269-7080.
For restrictions on the R-2510 Pilots, "Shall" check the El Centro (KNJK) NOTAM's at: NOTAM's For additional information, contact Mr. Steve Lippert at (760) 339-2616 email@example.com or Mr. Marc Willis at 760-339-2672 firstname.lastname@example.org.
R-2510 Target Information (Tgt 101 & 103)
For restrictions on the R-2512, Pilots "Shall" check the El Centro (KNJK) NOTAM's at: NOTAM's For additional information, contact Mr. Steve Lippert at (760) 339-2616 email@example.com or Mr. Marc Willis at 760-339-2672 firstname.lastname@example.org.
R-2512 - Target 68 scoring unavailable until further notice. For more information please contact Steve Lippert at 760-339-2616 or WISS at 760-339-2231.
Please see the documents below concerning Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) operating south of the R-2512 near the Holtville Airfield (L04).
MAWTS-1 Share Point
Opposing Forces Support:
Opposing Forces (OPFOR) and Target Support – For information and planning please see StaO 3710.6J, Chapter 6, Section 6008, Pages 6-21 thru 6-23. For Smokey Sam, Moving Land Target (MLT), Battle Field Effects, and Automated Ground Pop-up Target support please go to Future Plans SharePoint, to access request forms. Once you have completed the request form, please email to John Gordon at email@example.com. For additional information contact the Range Training Officer at: commercial 928-269-6488/DSN 269-6488 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moving Land Target (MLT) SPINS, R-2507 North Target 15N, Al Brutus R-2507 North MLT is available upon request through the MCAS Yuma Range Future Plans Officer @ 928-269-6488. Requests for this specific capability @ 15N/WISS AF must be coordinated no less than 30 days prior to the event and resources must be provided by the requesting Units/Squadron.
PARACHUTE OPERATIONS: TACTICAL DZ's/LZ's
Parachute and para-drop operations shall be conducted in designated DZ areas only as established and approved by the Director, Range Operations Division via Range Training Officer IAW AFI 13-217. A TACTICAL DZ SURVEY is required and provided by Range Management/Range Training Officer upon request. Contact the Range Training Officer (928) 269-6488 email: email@example.com for more information. Requests for parachute/para-drop operations in areas other than routinely used DZs will require advance approval from the Director, Range Operations Division via coordination with the Range Training Officer. *DZSO's must comply with 3570.1_ and be certified through Marine Net RSO Course and MCAS Yuma Range RSO Course. (See Range Safety Section on this page)
Southwest Tactical Training Ranges (SWTTR):
SWTTR provides Mission Coordination, real-time instrumentation and communication for exercise control and ground control intercepts, Link-16, tactical employment of surface-to-air threats, weapons impact scoring, moving land targets and debriefing products for military aviation units training in and around MCAS Miramar, NAF El Centro and MCAS Yuma ranges. Contact a SWTTR Mission Coordinator at (928)269-1645 (El Centro or Yuma) or (858)577-6116 (Miramar), or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mission Coordination and Control
GCI and/or RTO Consoles
Tactical Combat Training System
Ground Tracking System
Yuma Range Training Officer - Mr. Jon Gordon at: commercial 928-269-6488 DSN 269-6488 or at email@example.com
- Requesting units conducting ground operations must submit a completed Concept of Operations (CONOPs), Scheme of Maneuver (SOM), and Special Instructions (SPINS). This information shall be submitted to the Range Training Officer no later than sixty (60) days from the training date. Without this information submitted within the required time, the training shall be denied. Example CONOPS
- For pre-approved Weapon Danger Zone Profiles, please also see the RFMSS Library.
- MCAS Yuma Ordnance Matrices (See Sta) 3710.6J, Appendix C at the top of this page) (Identifies the types of ordnance allowed on each target)
Requesting a Range Facility Management Support System (RFMSS "Rif-
Miss") Account (Web Based Range Scheduling System)
RFMSS Scheduling Times - Yuma Ranges, whether in California or Arizona are scheduled in Yuma Local Time (Zulu -7). With that said, during Non-Daylight Savings Time (Fall & Winter), Yuma is one hour a head of California Time. During Daylights Savings Time (Spring & Summer), Yuma and California are on the same time zone. Please adjust your requests in RFMSS accordingly. Not taking this into account could cause a significant impact on your training.
Any changes (weapons, co-use, times, etc), cancellations, or new requests must be submitted in RFMSS no later than 1500 Yuma local (always MST) Monday thru Thursday. For weekend and/or holiday training, the deadline is 1400 Friday (or 1400 the business day prior to the holiday). Requests made after these deadlines "Will Not Be Approved" and will not be reflected on the fire desk on the following day. StaO 3710.6J, Page 3-8, Paragraph 2.c
RFMSS Requests - Once a request has been submitted, follow-up tracking on the status is the responsibility of the requesting unit and tracking of the request may be performed via the RCNI. An RCNI assignment does NOT constitute approval/reservation of the request. It is the user’s responsibility to check their pending requests periodically until a reservation or other action has been made. StaO 3710.6J, Page 3-4, Paragraph 3.c