MCAS Yuma Range SOP STAO 3710.6J
- "Any proposed operations in the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range (R 2507) that include personnel on deck requires 60 day notification to Yuma Skeds accompanied by a Scheme of Maneuver/Overview. Director, MCAS Yuma Range Management concurrence will be required prior to approval of any airspace or ground RFMSS requests. Exceptions: MAWTS-1, EOTG and 3rd MAW."
Restriction: Agua Caliente Airport, owned and operated by the County of San Diego, located at 32°57′22″N 116°17′44″W with elevation of 1,220 ft. This airfield is "OFF LIMITS" to all military aircraft (to include rotor and tilt-rotor aircraft). For more information please contact Mr. Steve Lippert at 760-339-2616.
TIME CHANGE – Currently California is on the same time as Yuma, Arizona (During Daylight Savings Time). Next change will be November 3rd, 2019 Daylight Savings Ends. At that time California's time will be one hour behind Yuma, Arizona’s time. Ensure your range request times are adjusted to reflect the time change in RFMSS, otherwise take the chance of your range not being properly scheduled (Ranges are always scheduled in Yuma Local Time).
Submitting Range Requests in Range Facility Management Scheduling System (RFMSS) - Once a request has been submitted, it is just a request. Follow-up tracking on the status is the responsibility of the requesting unit and tracking of the request may be performed via the RCNI. An RCNI assignment does NOT constitute approval/reservation of the request. It is the user’s responsibility to check their pending requests periodically until a reservation or other action has been made.
- RFMSS Training - Units or personnel requiring any training in the use or implementation of RFMSS, contact Yuma Range Scheduling via email at email@example.com, or call DSN 269-2214/2215/2690/5575 or Commercial (928)269-2214/2215/2690/5575.
Knowingly not showing up for your range and giving co-use is wrong. If not using your range you cannot give a co-use. It is a “No-Show”, for your unit. If giving the range to another unit, you shall cancel your range time. If the range time is on the same day, you must call Yuma Range to cancel. You cannot cancel same day ranges in RFMSS. The unit requesting the range shall submit a request in RFMSS.
- R-2507 North – Target Restrictions – 26 September – 26 October, 2019 – Due to target preservation for WTI 1-20 Course, High Explosive (HE) ordnance delivery “Shall Only Be Authorized on targets 2N & 3N for all non-WTI units. All other targets within the R-2507 North will be available for inert ordnance only. All ordnance use shall be in accordance with StaO 3710.6J. POC: Mr. Veasey DSN 269-5575.
- R-2507 NORTH - Restriction - 1530Z September 23rd until 0700Z October 27nd 2019 NO ORDNANCE OR LASING WILL BE AUTHORIZED SOUTH OF THE INERT LINE for Non-WTI units. This restriction is due to ground personnel operating in an area south of the inert line, conducting ground operations. POC: Mr. Veasey DSN 269-2214/5575, or Leg Iron 928-269-7080.
SWAT - 4 AREA:
- Please see the SWAT-4 range SPINS in the RFMSS Library under Range Cards.
- R-2507 South – Target Restrictions – 14 September – 26 October, 2019 – Due to target preservation for WTI 1-20 Course High Explosive (HE) ordnance delivery “Shall Only Be Authorized on targets 1S, 7S, & 14S for all non-WTI units. All other targets within the R-2507 South will be available for inert ordnance only. All ordnance use shall be in accordance with StaO 3710.6J. POC: Mr. Veasey DSN 269-5575.
- R-2507 South – Range Closure 2 - 7 December, 2019 – The R-2507 South will be closed during this period for range maintenance and target build for the Steel Knight Exercise. Due to personnel on the range and explosive operations taking place, there SHALL BE NO FLIGHTS BELOW 6,000 FT MSL AND NO ORDNANCE/LASER OPERATIONS AUTHORIZED. The range will continued to be closed from 8 - 13 December, 2019 for the Steel Knight Exercise. However, 7-31K will be available with NO LASING/ORDNANCE 2 - 13 December, 2019, outside the Steel Knight Exercise scheduled times. For more information contact Mr. Alan Veasey at 928-269-5575/2214/ DSN 269-5575/2214 or Leg Iron at 928-269-7080/DSN 269-7080.
Mt Barrow Corridor:
R-2301 West, Tacts Lo - At the following grid (12S TA 291 984) there is a temporarily unlighted communications tower, 197’ AGL. All aviators are to proceed through this location with “CAUTION”. For additional information contact Yuma Range Scheduling at 928-269-2214/15 or Leg Iron 928-269-7080.
R-2301 WEST – CACTUS WEST – CACTUS WEST BULL’S-EYE - The Cactus West Bull’s-eye Target lighting will down until further notice. For more information please contact WISS Scoring at 928-269-7699.
- Within R-2301W - During the dates 15 March to 15 July in accordance with U.S. Fish and Wildlife measures to protect the Sonoran pronghorn habitat, non-WTI aircraft flights shall remain west of the 113°53’W longitude line, or on designated transit routes, or above 1,500 ft. AGL (when flying east of this line). Refer to, STAO 3710.6, Range Regulations, Section 4004.5 TACTS LOW, Para. 5 Special Instructions, b.
- R-2301 West – Cactus West/ UTC Yodaville - 30 MM MUNITIONS NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE TARGET AREAS. For additional information, contact Mr. Alan Veasey DSN 269-2214/5575, or Leg Iron 928-269-7080.
For restrictions on the R-2510 Pilots, "Shall" check the El Centro (KNJK) NOTAM's at: NOTAM's For additional information, contact Mr. Steve Lippert at (760) 339-2616 firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Marc Willis at 760-339-2672 email@example.com.
R-2510 Target Information (Tgt 101 & 103)
For restrictions on the R-2512, Pilots "Shall" check the El Centro (KNJK) NOTAM's at: NOTAM's For additional information, contact Mr. Steve Lippert at (760) 339-2616 firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Marc Willis at 760-339-2672 email@example.com.
R-2512 - Target 68 scoring unavailable until further notice. For more information please contact Steve Lippert at 760-339-2616 or WISS at 760-339-2231.
Please see the documents below concerning Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) operating south of the R-2512 near the Holtville Airfield (L04).
MAWTS-1 Share Point
Opposing Forces Support:
Opposing Forces (OPFOR) and Target Support – For information and planning please see StaO 3710.6J, Chapter 6, Section 6008, Pages 6-21 thru 6-23. For Smokey Sam, Moving Land Target (MLT), Battle Field Effects, and Automated Ground Pop-up Target support please go to Future Plans SharePoint, to access request forms. Once you have completed the request form, please email to John Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information contact the Range Training Officer at: commercial 928-269-6488/DSN 269-6488 or at email@example.com
- Moving Land Target (MLT) SPINS, R-2507 North Target 15N, Al Brutus R-2507 North MLT is available upon request through the MCAS Yuma Range Future Plans Officer @ 928-269-6488. Requests for this specific capability @ 15N/WISS AF must be coordinated no less than 30 days prior to the event and resources must be provided by the requesting Units/Squadron.
PARACHUTE OPERATIONS: TACTICAL DZ's/LZ's
Parachute and para-drop operations shall be conducted in designated DZ areas only as established and approved by the Director, Range Operations Division via Range Training Officer IAW AFI 13-217. A TACTICAL DZ SURVEY is required and provided by Range Management/Range Training Officer upon request. Contact the Range Training Officer (928) 269-6488 email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Requests for parachute/para-drop operations in areas other than routinely used DZs will require advance approval from the Director, Range Operations Division via coordination with the Range Training Officer. *DZSO's must comply with 3570.1_ and be certified through Marine Net RSO Course and MCAS Yuma Range RSO Course. (See Range Safety Section on this page)
Southwest Tactical Training Ranges (SWTTR):
SWTTR provides Mission Coordination, real-time instrumentation and communication for exercise control and ground control intercepts, Link-16, tactical employment of surface-to-air threats, weapons impact scoring, moving land targets and debriefing products for military aviation units training in and around MCAS Miramar, NAF El Centro and MCAS Yuma ranges. Contact a SWTTR Mission Coordinator at (928)269-1645 (El Centro or Yuma) or (858)577-6116 (Miramar), or via email at email@example.com.
Mission Coordination and Control
GCI and/or RTO Consoles
Tactical Combat Training System
Ground Tracking System
Yuma Range Training Officer - Mr. Jon Gordon at: commercial 928-269-6488 DSN 269-6488 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requesting units conducting ground operations must submit a completed Concept of Operations (CONOPs), Scheme of Maneuver (SOM), and Special Instructions (SPINS). This information shall be submitted to the Range Training Officer no later than sixty (60) days from the training date. Without this information submitted within the required time, the training shall be denied. Example CONOPS
- For pre-approved Weapon Danger Zone Profiles, please also see the RFMSS Library.
- MCAS Yuma Ordnance Matrices (See Sta) 3710.6J, Appendix C at the top of this page) (Identifies the types of ordnance allowed on each target)
Requesting a Range Facility Management Support System (RFMSS "Rif-
Miss") Account (Web Based Range Scheduling System)
RFMSS Scheduling Times - Yuma Ranges, whether in California or Arizona are scheduled in Yuma Local Time (Zulu -7). With that said, during Non-Daylight Savings Time (Fall & Winter), Yuma is one hour a head of California Time. During Daylights Savings Time (Spring & Summer), Yuma and California are on the same time zone. Please adjust your requests in RFMSS accordingly. Not taking this into account could cause a significant impact on your training.
Any changes (weapons, co-use, times, etc), cancellations, or new requests must be submitted in RFMSS no later than 1500 Yuma local (always MST) Monday thru Thursday. For weekend and/or holiday training, the deadline is 1400 Friday (or 1400 the business day prior to the holiday). Requests made after these deadlines "Will Not Be Approved" and will not be reflected on the fire desk on the following day. StaO 3710.6J, Page 3-8, Paragraph 2.c
RFMSS Requests - Once a request has been submitted, follow-up tracking on the status is the responsibility of the requesting unit and tracking of the request may be performed via the RCNI. An RCNI assignment does NOT constitute approval/reservation of the request. It is the user’s responsibility to check their pending requests periodically until a reservation or other action has been made. StaO 3710.6J, Page 3-4, Paragraph 3.c