Housing FAQ

Who is eligible to apply for housing?

Active duty military personnel, with qualifying family members, who are assigned for duty within the local commuting area with Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS) orders for a minimum of six months, are eligible to apply for family housing.

How do I apply for housing?

If you meet the eligibility requirements, you must complete and submit a Family Housing Application (DD Form 1746) and all qualifying documents. Please see Application and Waiting List tab.

What determines my Control Date?

Control Dates are determined by one of the following ways:

  • If you received web orders to MCAS Yuma, the Control Date is the date the Housing Office receives the Family Housing Application (DD Form 1746), with all qualifying documents, and PCS orders. If the application, qualifying documents, or PCS orders are received separately, the Control Date will be established as the date the Housing Office receives the last document that completes your application.
  • If applying within 30 days of marriage, the Control date is the date the application is received by the Housing Office, but is no more than 30 days prior to marriage.

How can two married service members apply for housing?

In order to qualify for housing, both service members must be assigned for a tour of duty or be stationed at the same or adjacent installations at the same time. Deployments or temporary duty away from the installation for short periods will not hinder their position on the waiting list.

When both or either service members have family members other than the spouse, eligibility to apply for housing rests with either service member.

What list will I go on?

Waiting lists are generally established to match the designated homes grouped by rank and the number of bedrooms. Please go to the Application and Waiting Lists tab to see the waiting lists and current estimated wait times.

Can I wait for a particular area, neighborhood, or type of house?

No, Marine Corps Order 11000.22 states that: "Eligible Personnel will be assigned to the next available set of quarters once they reach the top position on their respective waiting list. They will not be allowed to choose a particular set of quarters or housing area."

If you refuse an offer, your Control Date will be changed to the date of refusal and your name will be repositioned on the waiting list. A second refusal will result in removal from the waiting list and you may not reapply for six months.

Why does my position on the waiting list keep changing to a higher number?

Your position on the waiting list is determined by your Control Date. As you rise to the top of the waiting list and enter the Freeze Zone (top 10% or top three on a particular waiting list), you should not be jumped, bumped, or moved to a lower position on the list. There are only a few unique circumstances that would affect your position on the waiting list. Those are:

  • A member applies for housing and has one or more family members enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). Each service member enrolled in the EFMP receives a letter from Marine Corps Installations Command (MCICOM) which stipulated any special needs of the enrollee. Sometimes that special need requires priority on the waiting list so that they are offered a home right away. In those cases, the EFMP family would be placed in a position where they are offered the next available home, displacing everyone below them by one position.
  • A member on the list has a unique situation which may endanger the family members or put them in an unsafe condition and the member asks for an exception to policy and request consideration for priority housing. If approved by the installation commanding officer, the member would be placed just under the Freeze Zone or in a position directed by the commanding officer. This situation may displace everyone on the waiting list by one position.

What is Public Private Venture (PPV)?

Almost 20 years ago, Congress investigated the overall condition of all military housing and found that over 70% of the housing inventory needed more than $80,000 per home to modernize and bring them into code compliance. Congress could not correct the backlog of maintenance and repair using the traditional military construction and renovation process. In 1996, Congress passed legislation authorizing Public Private Venture (PPV) initiatives with the intent of improving family housing faster and at a lower initial cost to the taxpayers.

MCAS Yuma privatized its family housing inventory in October 2004. While the government retains land ownership, the PPV partner at MCAS Yuma, Lincoln Military Housing, provides resources to sustain the improvements they have already made to Family Housing and manages, operates, and maintains the homes. Visit the Lincoln Military Housing website to learn more about them and PPV.

Who is going to oversee the partner?

Oversight of the partner will occur on several levels, including Headquarters Marine Corps, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest Division, and daily interaction with MCAS Yuma Government Housing staff. Additionally, annual customer satisfaction surveys will be distributed to residents so that they can voice their opinion about the quality of service they are receiving.

Why do I have to sign a lease with Lincoln Military Housing?

The Public Private Venture (PPV) business agreements are structured to mirror what is done in the commercial housing market. With some notable differences, residing in privatized housing should be no different than renting in the community. A lease protects you, as well as the partner, and clearly defines responsibilities for both entities. If you refuse to sign a lease, you will not reside in base housing.

How do I pay my rent?

The amount you receive for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) covers rent and normal utilities. BAH no longer provides renters insurance and members are encouraged to get renters insurance on their own. When you sign a lease, in cases of Marine Corps personnel, the Military Housing Office will redirect your BAH to the partner to pay your rent. For all other uniformed service members, you must set up an allotment through Lincoln Military Housing so that your rent is automatically reduced from your pay and provided to Lincoln Military Housing. If there is an increase in your BAH due to promotion or an annual increase, which may occur every January, you must inform Lincoln Military Housing or the Military Housing Office. BAH pays rent, regardless of how much BAH you are receiving when you sign a lease.

When dual military members with no other family members sign a lease, will they take both our BAH to pay for rent?

When two married military members reside in Public Private Venture (PPV) housing with no other dependents, the monthly rent is equivalent to BAH of the highest ranking member at the dependent rate. That amount is more than one member's BAH and the remainder will have to be paid out of pocket.

If my family increases, can I request to move to a larger home?

Yes, you may request a Transfer on Site (TOS) through the Lincoln Military Housing office to a larger home, but at your expense.

Are there special considerations for family members with disabilities?

The partner is required to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and any special needs should be brought up to the partner well in advance of the families arrival.



Military Family Housing Office
Housing Referral/ Applications/ Rentals:
(928) 269-2826
Assistant Manager/ Waiting Lists/ MCTIFS:
(928) 269-3643
Fax: (928) 269-3284
Hours: Mon - Fri, 0700 - 1600.

Lincoln Military Housing
Office: (928) 344-1240
24-Hour Maintenance: (888) 578-4141
Fax: (928) 344-4192
Hours: Mon - Sat, 0830 - 1730

Marine Corps Air Station Yuma