Unit HomeNews
Unit News Search
Unit News
Stop lossed Marines eligible for special pay

By Cpl. Pete Zrioka | | November 5, 2009

The Marine Corps announced Oct. 23  Marines who were stop lossed and kept on active duty after their end of active service or retirement date between Sept. 11, 2001, and Sept. 30, 2009, are eligible for special compensation.

Marine Administrative Message 0624/09 states that Marines held on active duty during that time frame are entitled to $500 per month or any portion of a month retained on active duty.

To submit a claim, go to https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/stoploss and select “Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment,” under “Forms” in the lower right hand corner.

To retain minimum numbers of active and reserve Marines, the Corps stop lossed troops between Jan. 7, 2002, and Sept. 30, 2003, following 9/11 and continuing into Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“This shouldn’t affect many people,” said Gunnery Sgt. Fred Suniga, staff noncommissioned officer in charge of Yuma's installation personnel administration center’s outbound department. “Ninety percent of the Marines who were stop lossed back in 2002 and 2003 are most likely out of the Marine Corps now.”

Active duty, reserve and former Marines are eligible for the special payment, although reservists will only receive payment for the time they were activated. Inactive duty training is not counted toward compensation.

Marines discharged or released under other than honorable conditions are not eligible for payment.

Eligible personnel must apply to Headquarters Marine Corps for special payment no later than Oct. 21, 2010. Applicants must provide documented proof they were stop lossed. Discharge papers and separation documents, a personnel record or orders stating EAS date or retirement from service prior to actual date of retirement are acceptable forms of documentation.

For more information, visit https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/stoploss, or reference MarAdmin 0624/09.

Marine Corps News
Unit News Archive